Thursday 4 October 2007

Palau

I went to Palau for a conference - the Asia Pacific Parliamentarians Union meeting, to be specific.



Palau is a small tropical island, home to only 19,000 people. It is one of the youngest and smallest nations in the world, having come out of a trust territory arrangement with the US in 1994. It is doing quite well, despite the fact I think can lay claim to being the most goverened place in the world... it has 16 States! With the exception of Koror and Airai, there were more people in my high school that a state in Palau.... in some cases more people in just my year of high school!

This is their new capitol building. It rises up starkly from the landscape, and is situated at the other end of the island to where most people live (Palau is actually a series of islands linked by bridges). It is huge, very chilly inside and I think the power bills must be astronomical.

I didn't get a shot of the front of the building, but it does look very much like the US capitol building. It was pointed out that the huge white dome is not copied from the US, but from ancient greece and the symbol of democracy. I think it might be a bit of a sensitive issue.



The conference was very well organised, we didn't have a moment to spare and all the Palauans I met were simply delightful. Palau gets a lot of tourists, mainly from Japan and Taiwan, and it is much more developed than anywhere in the FSM. They really seem to look after the environment there, however, and it's a very beautiful place.

Some shells for sale


Easter island style stones at Balbeldaob.


The water in Palau is that gorgeous shade of aquamarine you can't believe you are really seeing. The dark spots under the water here are where they filmed a challenge for "Survivor: Palau". The contestants had to stand on them until they were the last remaining. I am such a nanna, but how could anyone stand there without SUNSCREEN? The sun is fierce here. I would have jumped in the water right away and spent the day sleeping in the shade. I guess that's why I'll never be on survivor.



The rock islands area is very pretty. I got to go on the President's boat for the day (I don't get much of a chance to be a shameless name dropper, don't judge me too harshly).







I have promised Ben we will return, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Jo

No comments: