Tuesday 10 April 2007

Jo's trip to Fiji and Australia

A long time ago, I went to a conference in Fiji (at the end of Feb, actually!). I've always felt that Fiji was nearby, and living in the Pacific didn't change that. So imagine my shock when it took 36 hours to get there! Pohnpei - Chuuk - Guam- Carins- Brisabne - Nadi. And only one delayed flight (5 hours - yuk.) At least it was the Brisbane - Nadi flight so I got to set up camp at International Qantas Club and quaff Moet and Brie.

I was really lucky and was able to break the trip in Sydney on the way back, and spent a week with family and friends. My Nanna had just died, but I couldn't make it back in time for the funeral so it was really nice to spend time in Canberra with Mum and Dad and Marcus. I also got to see many great friends in Canberra and Sydney. Of course, I ate everything I missed living in Micronesia and was treated to incredible meals and lots of fine wines. I returned to the FSM in desperate need of a diet and a holiday.

I did one of those naff day tours in Fiji, given that I had never been there before and effectively had one full day to see the place. I was really pleasantly surprised - there was only myself and an Irish girl and we went to a small village and pretty much hung out for the day.

View from a hut in Fijian village.


Waterfall in Fiji - our teenage guide jumping off. I decided not to....


Very cool vines


I'm not much of a basket weaver....


Pretty ladies - with Katty in Sydney


More pretty ladies - with Sonia at a lovely picnic on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, also attended by Mr Glover.

No comments: