Tuesday 30 January 2007

Jungle

So much has happened since we moved here it's overwhelming trying to start this blog...
so in typical Jo fashion I'll put it off til later, and do a slap dash job for now.

I'm feeling Jungle-y today. So pictures of jungle it is.


Ben on a main road. (not kidding)

This doesn't look nearly as imposing as it is - the jungle looms up in a cliff about 100m high and the top seems to curl over like a wave. I live with minor background dread of a jungle tsunami.

Bananas everywhere. Unfortunately all trees here are privately owned. Fortunately a huge bunch costs 75c. Up yours, cyclone Larry.

I am so immature, but I giggle every time I see a banana flower leaf on the ground.


The harbour. The Rusty Anchor is around further to the right. I love the Rusty Anchor. It has $2 beers. All the time. There is this incredibly decrepit building on the ring road - you have to go though a broken door, head down some scummy stairs, then follow a huge old sailing rope through a myriad of disgusting corridors until.. you burst though into a room open to the environment, with a huge balcony overlooking the harbour and the jungle and the mountains and out to sea, and all the rusty old ship wrecks.

Hibiscus here isn't just pretty - it's essential for making Sakau. More on Sakau later.

Pretty.

Jo xx

1 comment:

Nat said...

hmmm, I giggled at the banana leaf too and I'm ceratinly NOT immature hehe :)